
Museum Boijmans in Rotterdam is one of the Best museums I've been to. From Studio Wieke Somers clothes rack to Maarten Kolk's visual soil map to Hussein Chalayan's Microgeography to Martin Margiela. It is so much more inspiring to see the actual works than to see them from pictures. Hellooo to some of the greatest and most favorite-st designers in the Art of Fashion exhibition. This exhibition blurs the boundaries between art and fashion (Hussein Chalayan and Viktor & Rolf do this especially well). Christophe Coppens' No References where he dismembers the body, and attaches accessories to each body part, is another really interesting point of view. I'm always annoyed by people who still assume fashion studies to be something superficial. You must be living in orbit town if you haven't noticed the movement from those commercial, capitalistic days to the current multi/inter-disciplinary, highly conceptual times. I cannot be bothered with you, in that case.
Also, I am constantly fascinated by museum spaces. I think that that's where real interior/architecture begins: from the way they divide the space, the attention paid to the display of art works, the toilets (who doesn't love museum toilets?), to the general design of the museum.
Rotterdam is a most un-Dutch city! The reason is because it was bombed during the war and had to be re-built (so of course they wouldn't spend money on cute brick houses). Actually, Rotterdam is not a very pretty city. It is marked by steel, glass and skyscrapers. And a lot of big construction projects. But it has Museum Boijmans, and some of the best architecture in the Netherlands.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home