Iamsterdam
I wasn’t fully sure that I was in Amsterdam, about to spend 4 years of my life here, until today when I laid on the grass at Museumplein, watching the birds flock into the open sky, blue with cotton clouds, the peculiarly slanted Dutch buildings, delicately carved, brick walls, brick roads, sipping tea by the canals, the sun shining across the city – “what a lark, what a plunge” (Mrs. Dalloway). In summer, the day lasts till 9pm. One never runs out of energy. Every step I take is filled with exuberance, with the sense of greatness and significance. It is the illusion of freedom, not from anything in particular, but of being free to wander as I please. I am absolutely in love with this place. A little more each day (except for the kitchen), and there is so much more to explore. How can I know if coming here is right? How can anybody know that what they are doing is right? What if one should lead his entire life believing that he has grasped the meaning of life and reality and existence but he hasn’t in fact? But as it seems, I am happy and excited for the days to come. We can leave out the metaphors and stick to the barest of words, green and blue, and the experience is still beautiful.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home