Saturday, November 25, 2006

Marcello Toshi

Has anybody seen Marcello Toshi's designs? It will leave you gaping in awe. http://www.marcellotoshi.com/flo3sis91ki/collection.html

1. The long stroll home

I love the long stroll home. We walk up the hill and down the slope. We come to an abrupt stop and hastily bid each other farewell. Our arms brush lightly against, against the cold wind that shrouds us. But the streetlamps threaten to penetrate through, and surely we must consider the occasional barking that forces us to open our ears? Foolish young lovers! In my mind, the deaf girl of Babel is waiting to cross the road. Pardon me, I almost meant “waiting to cross the world”. The world is a divide we cannot comprehend. It runs in neon colors. The colors and aesthetics of the film were great. I have not seen the movie. Will you watch it with me? I read about the movie in a magazine. I saw a picture of the girl waiting for the man to turn green. Cixous spoke of an Other-Love, but the image of the deaf girl and the flashing neon lights of the surroundings persist. I cannot rid these hindrances. You know, she isn’t really deaf. The actress, I mean. It was a breakthrough performance. She is Japanese. You look equally good today. I can foresee our parting. There is a dead end straight ahead. I can see the outline of the tree struck down by the lightning.

“I would like to hear you say something…”
“Je pense que…”

The message is “Je t’aime”. It came the moment I put the pen down. It came in a most ironic manner.


2. In front of the computer

In the simulated space in front of the computer, I am engaged in a lovers’ discourse. I am overwhelmed by you, superlative you, you who encompass France, Mexico, Egypt, (Singapore) and every other parts of the world. The world is enormous and we are the miniscule insignificants typing out our fervent thoughts in a last minute attempt to gain some significance. Over the telephone, my father congratulates his friend for having a productive daughter-in-law. He meant a reproductive wife, a pregnant belly and a pair of swollen feet. You know, I never want to be married to you, nor follow you to church and participate in group bonding activities, or to meet your friends over dinner and beer. You are not listening, are you? In your mind, there are neon lights illuminating my face, a hovering halo, and the perfection of mannequins that line the streets. Oh! But to discover that "Caelia, Caelia, Caelia, shits!"

“I want you to want me.”
“I already do.”

I am never leaving this virtual circle space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home